- Our goal is to serve as a central, coordinating resource for suicide prevention.
- We distribute materials, provide skill training programs (provided by SPCLI member organizations) for community members, schools, staff, and volunteers of local human service providers.
- We help educate the community through our website and social media platforms.
- Our goal is to organize an annual conference that attracts a broad range of stakeholders and provides exposure to information on emerging competencies and practices that can be utilized immediately to help the community.
- Our goal is to create a network of like-minded individuals, who can collaborate together on projects, trainings, and programs, to provide the best possible outcome to preventing suicide.
- Our goal is to coordinate activities surrounding the promotion of suicide prevention, including campaigns and events during September of each year, which coincides with World Suicide Prevention Awareness Month.
- Membership is voluntary.
- Membership is open to individuals, organizations, elected officials, business, community and faith-based organizations that reside or are employed in Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk County, NY) and who support the mission of the SCPLI and agree to champion its goals, objectives and guiding principles.
- Membership is determined on a nondiscriminatory basis without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.
Membership in the Coalition can come from any of the following sectors
- Persons with lived experience and family members
- Persons with family members who have lived experience or are suicide attempt providers
- Survivors of suicide loss
- Businesses within the community
- Behavioral health or social service organization
- Law enforcement agencies and 1st responder organizations
- Religious or fraternal organizations
- Civic and volunteer groups
- Healthcare professionals
- State, local, or tribal governmental agencies
- Others interested in supporting SPCLI
The Suicide Prevention Coalition of Long Island has several committees working together to achieve the goals it sets. They consist of:
The Executive Committee
The Executive Committee serves as the governing body of the Coalition, both during and between meetings. It is responsible for providing guidance on overall strategic direction and key issues of the Coalition, including:
- Developing and revising policy and procedure
- Ensuring budgetary control
- Providing oversight for the committees
- Creating processes for resource allocation and sustainability
- Establishing and maintaining organizational structure
The Membership Committee
The Membership Committee maintains the roster of members, identifying and reaching out to potential new members, and facilitating the communication of community interests back to the committee and the Coalition.
The Training Committee
The Training Committee develops goals and objectives for providing gatekeeper trainings, enhancing a pool of local trainers, and maintaining accurate records of local training. Special attention is given to trainings approved by New York State Office of Mental Health, those listed as Best Practice and/or Evidenced Based, and emerging practices.
The Conference Committee
The committee is responsible for developing the central theme(s) for the annual conference, selecting a keynote presenter(s) consistent with the conference theme, issuing a Call for Papers for presentations and presenters, and developing all program and promotional materials.
The Social Media Committee
This committee has responsibility for the content management of the website and social media pages.